Much of our happiness and success is the result of our thinking. So, too, are our failures. And our thoughts are revealed in our self-talk. What you say to yourself during the course of the day largely determines the outcome. In theory, it’s really pretty simple:
- Positive self-talk leads to success.
- Negative self-talk dooms you to failure.
The solution is to develop new habits in your thinking.
Let’s examine several ways to combat these negative thought processes and develop new, positive thoughts that will better serve you.
When you’re good at recognizing these flaws in your self-talk, you’re 90% of the way there:
1. “I can be happy once I …” It’s a mistake to believe that you need to have or do anything before you can be happy. As soon as the criterion is met, another will simply take its place. It’s great to strive for more, but to make your happiness dependent on such attainment will delay your happiness forever.
2. The success of other people makes you jealous or resentful. The flaw is thinking that only a limited number of people can experience success. Learn to admire others that are successful. Learn from their success and be happy for them. You can be successful, too.
3. “I can’t do anything right” or “I’ll never be successful.” Mistakes are simply a learning method of how not to do something. Humans learn largely via ‘failure’. The most successful people have failed far more times than the average person. The difference is that they discover how to pick themselves back up again so they can go on to succeed. Remind yourself of all the times you’ve succeeded at something in the past. For example, learning to talk and walk were difficult endeavors. Consider how many times you failed at both of them and yet you were successful in the end. What if you had the same level of perseverance for everything else in your life?
4. “Why do these things always happen to me?” Over the long haul, life is remarkably fair. Bad things happen, but they tend to pass and good things take their place. To believe that you are singled out for bad things is a critical error that can guide you toward more negative circumstances.
5. “I can’t do this.” It’s difficult to do something that you believe you can’t. In reality, you can do nearly anything, given enough time and effort. Can you improve a little bit today? Of course you can, and you can keep improving each day. How could you not be able to do something if you never give up?
6. “I’ll do it tomorrow (or next week).” We often let ourselves off the hook by putting things off into the future. Successful people are great at doing what needs to be done. They simply do the things others don’t have the nerve to do. Be brave and claim your success today – not someday.
7. Any other negative self-talk. There’s a simple way to know if your thinking is on track. You should be happy, motivated, and enthusiastic to attack your goals. If you don’t feel this way, then you have negative thoughts in your head. Find and resolve these thoughts. Monitor yourself continuously for negative thought patterns. When they occur, intentionally turn the thought around into something positive.
Most of your negative thoughts have little reality supporting them – they merely have the power of repetition on their side. You can override that with repetition of new, positive thoughts.
You have the power to transform your life. Imagine what you could do if you banished all negative thoughts from your mind. Nurture yourself with positive self-talk and enjoy the success you deserve!
I’d love to spend some time talking with you about other areas of life in which you would benefit from transforming your mindset! A great way to get started is with a 45 minute FREE life transformation strategy session.
In this session we will:
- Uncover hidden challenges that may be the cause of chaos, stress and discord in your life.
- Create a crystal clear vision for your “ultimate life” of tremendous success on your terms with ample quality time and energy for all your priorities.
- Leave the session renewed, re-energized, and inspired to transform your life and accomplish all of the things that are really important to you.
Click here to schedule your complimentary session!
My new Facebook site is now up! Please visit. I’d appreciate your “Like!” and if you sign up for my e-list from Facebook, I’ll send you my latest time management suggestions.
Want to use this article on your website or your own Ezine?
Thanks for appreciating the value of this content. You’re welcome to reproduce this article, but you must reproduce it in its entirety and leave all the links active. Additionally, here is the short bio that you should include:
Dr. Steve Stutz, CTACC is a Life Success Coach, specializing in helping busy professionals and entrepreneurs not only survive but to thrive in life and business. To receive periodic personal development tips and success mindset articles, please join his e-list by visiting www.forwardpathcoaching.com