Here’s the list of top 10 fears among Americans:
10. Fear of confined spaces (Claustrophobia).
9. Fear of thunder and lightning (Brontophobia)
8. Fear of open spaces (Agoraphobia)
7. Fear of flying (Aerophobia)
6. Fear of people or social situations (Sociophobia)
4. Fear of darkness (Achluophobia, Scotophobia or Myctophobia)
3. Fear of spiders (Arachnophobia)
2. Fear of death (Necrophobia)
1. Fear of public speaking (Glossophobia)
So, if you get anxious just thinking about addressing a group of people, relax! You’re in the majority!
But, also realize that eventually you’re going to have to speak in public, in some form or setting, alone or as part of a group presentation. It’s not a case of “if” but simply of “when.” If you plan on being a leader, getting promoted, building the life you truly want, you will have to speak up!
In my coaching practice, I like to teach people the NLP Fast Phobia Cure technique. NLP (Neurolinguistic Programming) is essentially the study of how you make sense of everyday life in the world around you. It enables you to understand what makes you tick and how you create your reality. NLP is a fast acting and highly effective technology for overcoming fear.
Here’s what you need to do:
1. The first thing you have to do is define the fear or phobia that you would like to work on. In this case, your fear of public speaking.
2. Next, quiet yourself down, and imagine that you are sitting in the front row, center of a movie theater.
3. Allow yourself to float up and out of your body and sit in the balcony. (What you are doing is getting yourself ready to be emotionally detached and dissociated from your fearful experience of speaking before a group.)
4. As you’re sitting there in the balcony, let the movie begin on the screen. The feature picture is a fully color, surround sound, 3D blockbuster of “you” experiencing the fear of public speaking. (You’ll note that your usual fear will be absent because you are detached from the experience).
5. As the film comes to an end, freeze the final frame. At this point, change the movie into black and white and “enter into the scene fully”. In other words, completely re-associate into the action on the screen. Now run the associated movie backward at super high speed. When you get back to the beginning, freeze the screen image.
6. Then, remove yourself out of the movie and back into your balcony seat and white out the entire screen on your mind.
7. Repeat the process three or four more times until you recognize the absence of fear.
8. The final step is to test it out. You don’t have to run out and find a group to speak to, although that would certainly confirm it. All you need to do is imagine yourself standing up to speak at your next board meeting, business mixer, church social, family picnic, whatever and check out what you’re experiencing. If the imagined “future” experience is clear and calm, then go confidently forward to make it happen! If not, go back to the theater and work through the steps until it is!
The NLP Fast Phobia Cure works on any fear or phobias you have. By the way, if you want to take it further and work with this in more detail, I know of a great system that will allow you to tackle your fears in 10 minutes.
If you’re ready to make changes in your life to take control of your mental, emotional, physical, and financial destiny, I’d love to spend some time talking with you! We can explore how to bring greater harmony and balance into your current life situation with a 45 minute FREE “life transformation strategy session.
In this session, we will:
- Uncover hidden challenges that may be the cause of chaos, stress and discord in your life.
- Create a crystal clear vision for your “ultimate life” of tremendous success on your terms with ample quality time and energy for all your priorities.
- Leave the session renewed, re-energized, and inspired to transform your life and accomplish all of the things that are really important to you.
Click here to schedule your complimentary session!
My new Facebook site is now up! Please visit. I’d appreciate your “Like!” and if you sign up for my e-list from Facebook, I’ll send you my latest time management suggestions.
Want to use this article on your website or your own Ezine?
Thanks for appreciating the value of this content. You’re welcome to reproduce this article, but you must reproduce it in its entirety and leave all the links active. Additionally, here is the short bio that you should include:
Dr. Steve Stutz, CC is a Life Success Coach, specializing in helping clergy and professional church workers not only survive but to thrive during periods of crisis, transition, and renewal. To receive periodic personal development tips and success mindset articles, please join his e-list by visiting www.forwardpathcoaching.com